Easter Bunny Cupcakes
Batter: 2 large EGGS 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature 1/4 cup canola oil 3/4 cup granulated sugar 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. buttermilk Buttercream frosting: 1.5 cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature 4.5 cups powdered sugar, sifted 5 Tbsp. heavy cream or milk 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract 1 pinch fine table salt Decorations: 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut 12 large marshmallows 1/2 cup pink sanding sugar 24 semi-sweet mini chocolate morsels 1 Tbsp. pink fondant
Yields: 12 servings
- Nutritional Information
Total Fat: 21 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 6 g
Sodium: 150 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 60 g
Sugar: 45 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 4 g
Vitamin A: 100 mcg
Calcium: 40 mg
Iron: 1.2 mg
Vitamin D: 0.2 mcg
Folate: 35 µg
Choline: 30 mg
Potassium: 110 mg
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. LINE muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
COMBINE butter, canola oil and sugar in a bowl of a stand mixer. MIX until well combined and creamy.
ADD eggs, one at a time. MIX well after each addition. STIR in vanilla extract.
WHISK together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate medium bowl.
ADD buttermilk, 1/4 cup at a time, ALTERNATING with flour mixture and MIXING with large spoon until just combined after each addition. Do not over mix.
DIVIDE batter between lined cupcake molds. BAKE for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
REMOVE from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
To make buttercream frosting, MIX unsalted butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract and fine table salt; use a whip attachment, starting slowly and gradually increasing the speed until light and fluffy. ADD more cream or powdered sugar as needed to get the desired consistency.
- ICE cupcakes with the whipped white frosting.
- COVER each iced cupcake evenly with coconut flakes.
- CUT marshmallows in half diagonally and DIP cut sides into pink sugar.
- PLACE two marshmallow halves onto each cupcake to make ears.
- PLACE two chocolate morsels onto each cupcake to make eyes.
- ROLL a 1/2 inch ball of fondant in the pink sugar. PLACE on cupcake to make a nose.
- Insert wooden toothpick into cupcakes; if it comes out clean, they are ready.
- Use wooden toothpicks to prop up marshmallow ears if they won’t stay up.
- Do not cut the marshmallows ahead of time. Cut each right before adding the sprinkles to help adhere the sugar.
- If short on time, use boxed cake mix for the batter, and then use decoration instructions to complete.