Say goodbye to your usual sunny-side-up eggs this Monday and shoot for our newest take on cloud eggs—solar eclipse eggs—in celebration of the 2017 solar eclipse! What’s on your “path of totality” viewing party menu? Head to our Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and share how you’re celebrating this incredible occurrence!
- 2 egg whites*
- 2 egg yolks, separated*
- Pinch of salt
- 3 drops black food coloring*
- HEAT oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- BEAT egg whites in a mixer bowl on high speed until foamy, then add a pinch of salt and continue to beat until egg whites form stiff peaks.
- DOLLOP the egg white mixture onto the lined baking sheet into a mound with a spoon, then using the back of the spoon create a well in the center of the mound.
- BAKE until the egg whites are no longer wet and slightly golden, about 3 minutes.
- ADD the food coloring to one of the separated yolks and MIX until well combined with a toothpick.**
- GENTLY add the other yolk to the center of the egg whites.
- SLOWLY pour the black egg yolk over the cloud egg.**
- BAKE again until the yolk is set, about 5 minutes.
*Optional to use two egg whites, two eggs yolks and food coloring for “solar eclipse” effect. Use only one egg white and one egg yolk for regular cloud eggs.
**Optional steps for “solar eclipse” effect.