Consumers of all ages want products made with fresh, real ingredients. The Made with REAL Eggs™ seal on food and beverage packaging instantly lets consumers know real eggs are used – and this is a powerful purchase incentive. According to research conducted by Datassential, among consumers who buy egg products, more than 8 in 10 said seeing the Made with REAL Eggs™ seal would positively influence their purchase decisions. The seal also gave consumers confidence that a manufacturer’s brand was of high quality (82%), and that a product would taste better (80%)1
MADE WITH REAL EGGS™ SEAL The American Egg Board created two REAL Eggs certification seals, one for use with packaged foods and the other for foodservice menus.
The Made with REAL Eggs™ Seal is ideal for producers, food manufacturers and foodservice retail outlets to use on packaged goods and fresh prepared foods to positively communicate the use of U.S.-farmed REAL eggs and REAL egg ingredients vs. substitutes processed from other ingredients.
If the Made with REAL Eggs™ seal is not applicable, the REAL Eggs seal is available for restaurants and foodservice outlets to use on menus and for promotional efforts, as well as for food manufacturers to use on food packaging.
Ingredients Requirements Summary
No imitations. No substitutes. Made in the U.S.A.
This ensures eggs and egg ingredients are produced under U.S. government food safety protocols versus imported eggs and egg ingredients, which are not. And it supports U.S. egg producers.
In order for a product/menu to be approved for the Made with REAL Eggs™ seal, these certification standards must be followed:
- Eggs and egg products therein must be made from U.S.-farmed eggs and conform to standards of identity for egg products established by specific USDA regulations.
- Egg products, for which there are no U.S. federal standards of identity, will be approved on a case by case basis.
- The Made with REAL Eggs™ and REAL Eggs™ seals cannot be used on imported eggs, egg products or products containing imported egg ingredients. All egg components must be from U.S.-raised hens.
- The Made with REAL Eggs™ and REAL Eggs™ seals cannot be used on products that use vegetable/legume proteins or vegetable/legume oils to replace an egg component.
- The Made with REAL Eggs™ and REAL Eggs™ seals will only certify products of the applicant. The applicant must be the owner of the UPC.
- Positively impacts purchase intent
- Employs external assets to communicate trusted quality
- Leverages communication to support product “reason to believe,” i.e., nutritional or taste benefits
- Leverages advertising and communication spending of licensed brand
- Delivers recognizable ingredient authenticity and credibility to signal taste and quality
- Provides confidence in product credentials and integrity, i.e., authentic vs. imitation ingredients, taste, value, etc.
- Streamlines choices for busy consumers
- Familiar point of reference adds further credibility to parent brand of the product
- Reinforces brand perceptions
No. Use of the seal is free, compliments of the American Egg Board.
Products need to be registered annually.
No, but each product/menu item you want to receive the seal must be registered separately.
Your submission needs to include a signed commitment via the online form or email that your product/menu item uses only U.S. sourced eggs or egg products and an ingredient deck/ingredient list or menu description (whichever is applicable). Once you receive the logo, the final packaging rendering with the seal applied must be submitted for final approval by the USDA.
Please allow two weeks for review once all materials have been submitted.
Everything can be submitted electronically, using the registration forms on this page.
Both seals are available in color and black & white. These file formats are available: AI, EPS, JPG, PNG and TIFF.
The research is offered for informational purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation regarding pricing or the terms of sale for any product.