HEAT oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. COOK garlic and chili flakes for 1 minute, stirring continually, or until softened. ADD zucchini noodles, salt and pepper and cook, tossing gently, for 1 to 2 minutes or until zucchini has softened. STIR tomatoes, spinach, lemon zest and juice gently into zucchini mixture until well combined. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted and tomatoes are warmed through.
MEANWHILE, bring 2 to 3 inches of water to boil in large saucepan or deep skillet. ADJUST heat setting to keep liquid simmering gently. BREAK eggs, 1 at a time, into custard cup or saucer. SLIP each egg into water holding dish close to surface. COOK eggs to a soft poach – about 3 to 5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. (Do not stir.) LIFT eggs from water with slotted spoon; drain well
DIVIDE zucchini mixture among 4 dinner plates and garnish with Parmesan and basil. TOP each with 1 poached egg. SERVE immediately.
- Use a spiralizer or spiral vegetable slicer on a setting such as curl to create shape that resembles long and thin noodles. Blot zucchini noodles with a paper towel if moist or watery, before proceeding with recipe.
- Cooking eggs to a soft poach allows the yolk to remain runny, which creates a creamy sauce when cut into over the zucchini noodles.
- Use very fresh eggs for poaching. They hold their shape better and form fewer wispy threads or “angel wings” in the water.
- Do not swirl the water when poaching eggs. This creates a vortex that will ruffle the delicate egg protein. Relatively quiet water that is gently simmering produces the best result.
- Poaching gadgets: A simple saucepan and slotted spoon are all that’s needed for superb poached eggs. However, specialized poaching equipment – rings that corral eggs as they cook in liquid, pan inserts with nonstick egg-shaped cups, and steam-cooking electric egg cookers – are also available.
- Heart-Check certification does not apply to other recipes or links unless expressly stated.