Deviled Bunny Eggs
12 hard-cooked EGGS, peeled ⅓ cup mayonnaise 2 tsp. yellow mustard ½ tsp. salt 48 thin 2-inch long celery sticks 72 mini chocolate chips 96 thin 2-inch long pieces carrot Shredded lettuce, optional
Yields: 12 servings, 2 filled egg whites each
- Nutritional Information
Per Serving: 2 filled and decorated egg whites
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 2 g
Monounsaturated fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 188 mg
Sodium: 214 mg
Carbohydrate: 3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 6 g
Vitamin A: 1450.8 IU
Vitamin D: 43.8 IU
Folate: 22.5 mcg
Calcium: 28.1 mg
Iron: 0.6 mg
Choline: 148.0 mg
SLICE eggs lengthwise in half. REMOVE yolks; place in a medium bowl.
STIR mayonnaise, mustard and salt into yolks until well blended.
DIVIDE yolk mixture evenly between egg whites.
For each “bunny,” USE 3 mini chocolate chips – 2 for eyes and 1 for a nose. PLACE 2 celery sticks near top of “bunny” for ears. PLACE 4 carrot pieces at an angle under nose for whiskers.
COVER a serving platter with lettuce. PLACE bunnies on lettuce.
REFRIGERATE until ready to serve.
- Very fresh eggs can be difficult to peel. To ensure easily peeled eggs, buy and refrigerate them a week to 10 days in advance of cooking. This brief “breather” allows the eggs time to take in air, which helps separate the membranes from the shell.
- To hard-cook eggs: PLACE eggs in saucepan large enough to hold them in single layer. ADD cold water to cover eggs by 1 inch. HEAT over high heat just to boiling. REMOVE from burner. COVER pan. LET EGGS STAND in hot water about 15 minutes for large eggs (12 minutes for medium eggs; 18 minutes for extra-large) COOL completely under cold running water and peel.
- Hard-cooked eggs are easiest to peel right after cooling. Cooling causes the egg to contract slightly in the shell.
- To peel a hard-cooked egg: Gently tap egg on countertop until shell is finely crackled all over. Roll egg between hands to loosen shell. Starting peeling at large end, holding egg under cold running water to help ease the shell off.
- Substitute small pieces of black olive for the mini chocolate chips. Use carrots pieces for the ears, and chives or dill for the whiskers.
- Plate can be covered with lettuce leaves, tinted dried coconut or paper grass.