Loaded Potato Scotch Egg
9 large hard-boiled EGGS 4 cups mashed potatoes 10 slices bacon, cooked crispy and chopped 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 1/4 cup chopped green onion salt and pepper (to taste) 1 cup flour 2 cups panko bread crumbs 1/2 cup whole grain mustard 2 Tbsp. creme fraiche 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar salt and pepper (to taste)
Yields: 6 servings
- Nutritional Information
Per serving: 1/6 of recipe
Does not include oil from fryer
Total fat: 32 g
Saturated fat: 14 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 3 g
Monounsaturated fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 341 mg
Sodium: 1913 mg
Carbohydrates: 65 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 3 g
Protein: 29 g
Vitamin A: 204 mcg
Vitamin D: 2 mcg
Folate: 83 mcg
Choline: 256 mg
Calcium: 309 mg
Iron: 3 mg
Potassium: 612 mg
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin A, calcium, folate and choline, and a good source of iron and potassium.
HEAT fryer to 350° F. MIX together mashed potato, bacon, cheese, onions, salt and pepper until combined.
SCOOP potato mixture into the palm of your hand, cupping to create a bowl shape. PLACE a hard-boiled egg in the center and gently WRAP and seal tightly. Set aside to chill.
Put flour, whisked eggs and panko in three SEPARATE containers. TOSS each coated egg in flour, then egg wash, then bread crumbs.
FRY eggs, two at a time until golden, approximately 2 minutes each.
In a small bowl, WHISK together mustard, creme fraiche and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. DOLLOP onto a plate and place fried eggs on top.
- Make the dish vegetarian by replacing the bacon with fried mushrooms.
- Save time by cooking the eggs and potatoes ahead of time, both will keep in the refrigerator for up to 6 days!
How to hard-boil eggs:
- PLACE eggs in saucepan large enough to hold them in single layer. ADD cold water to cover eggs by 1 inch. HEAT over high heat just to boiling, about 4-5 minutes for soft-boiled eggs and 9-15 minutes for hard-boiled eggs.
- REMOVE from burner. COVER pan. LET EGGS STAND in hot water about 15 minutes for large eggs (12 minutes for medium eggs; 18 minutes for extra-large).
- DRAIN immediately and serve warm; or cool completely under cold running water or in bowl of ice water, then REFRIGERATE.
- Hard-boiled eggs are easiest to peel right after cooling. Cooling causes the egg to contract slightly in the shell.